Doggiebreeds.com – Some dog breeds are not built just for home or apartment life. Their different size which is included as huge and heavy makes them craving for good outdoors. These gentle giants need more open space rather than staying indoors in most time. However, heaviest dog breed that has bigger body will be able to give you bigger hug.
They will just give their owners more to love. What are those dog breeds which are heavy? Let’s check out together.
Heaviest Dog Breed: Which One is Your Favorite?
- Life span: 8 – 10 years
- Temperament: Trainable, Gentle, Sweet-Tempered
- Height: Male: 27–29 inches (69–74 cm), Female: 25–27 inches (63–69 cm)
- Weight: Male: 130–150 lbs (60–70 kg), Female: 99–120 lbs (45–55 kg)
- Colors: Black, Black & White, Brown, Grey
- Origin: Canada, England
The first one of dog breeds in the world that will be described is Newfoundland dog. This heaviest dog breed was made for water. There were fishermen from Canada who prized Newfoundland for having thick coats and webbed feet. Such characteristic make these guys perfect to take dips into cold water in the ocean and to help hauling in net.
Some of them are able to get two hundred pounds at maximum plus six feet from nose top to their tail tip. They also have fluffy fur and gentle nature that make you always want to hug them.
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- Life span: 5 – 8 years
- Origin: France
- Temperament: Devoted, Companionable, Loyal, Courageous, Vigilant, Even Tempered
- Weight: Male: 120–140 lbs (54–65 kg), Female: 120–140 lbs (54–65 kg)
- Height: Male: 24–26 inches (60–67 cm), Female: 23–26 inches (57–65 cm)
- Colors: Fawn, Mahogany, Red
The next dog breed is Dogue de Bordeaux. This kind of dog breed is well-known for having large head. Its head is included as one of the largest one among dog breed. These guys are very sturdy.
They were used for pulling heavy objects and carts. Besides, Dogue de Bordeaux was used to protect castles and guard livestock as well. Since they are craving room for running around as well as having lots energy, they will need castle.
- Tibetan Mastiff
- Life span: 12 – 15 years
- Origin: Tibet
- Height: Male: 26–30 inches (66–76 cm), Female: 24–28 inches (61–71 cm)
- Weight: Male: 100–160 lbs (45–73 kg), Female: 75–120 lbs (34–54 kg)
- Temperament: Stubborn, Strong Willed, Intelligent, Protective, Aloof, Tenacious
- Colors: Black, Black & Tan, Brown, Red Gold, Blue Gray, Brown & Tan
Tibetan Mastiff is another one of the heaviest dog breed. This muscular hound could be included as the great grandfather of many dog breeds. Do not be surprised that you will hear thunder-like sound when this pup barks. It must be Tibetan Mastiff booming deep bark.
This dog breed was used by nomad to protect the flocks. This dog is quite territorial as well. This great family dog will not be too kind to the strangers. With thunder-like bark it has, no one would try to enter your house too quickly.
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Life span: 8 – 10 years
- Mass: 140 – 260 lbs
- Temperament: Lively, Gentle, Friendly, Watchful, Calm
- Height: Male: 28–35 inches (70–90 cm), Female: 26–31 inches (65–80 cm)
- Origin: Switzerland, Italy, France
The last one of huge dog breed discussed in this section is St. Bernard. This shaggy giant was used to save the stranded travelers many years ago and thus, they earn the “Saint” title. It can be handful too, but like snuggling up naturally as well as keeping the hikers warm.
Among this entire biggest breed of dog, do you have your favorite one? Huge dog breed will certainly give you the best hug. It makes them one of your best buddies. So, do not forget to bring your dog to morning walk.